About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I have no political experience. My valuable time is dedicated to my family and career in order to survive in the beastly world we live in. However, I do watch the news and able to comprehend some of this government goo. Perhaps I could be more knowledgeable of the subject matter and enrolling in United States Government class, which I must receive credit for in order to move towards my career goal could possibly help me understand our government, exactly how it functions and the opinions or views in others in the world.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Paid Family Leave in the United States



On October 2, 2012, USA Today published an article “U.S. Needs Paid Family Leave” written by Duncan Black.  In his article, he discusses how the United States should have paid parental leave not only working moms but working fathers as he discovered during a trip to Sweden.

I believe Mr. Black intended audience is targeted at new parents, soon-to-be parents and future parents as he mentions the “gender equity in the workplace and at home”.  As Mr. Black supports the paid parental leave, he believes it affects the parents jobs and paychecks if not in place. As a parent, I disagree with Mr. Black’s opinion because the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act exist for parents.  Employers would not fire an employee based on a birth of a child and the need to care for an infant.  This is why the leave act exist.  I am fortunate to work for the government which has sick and vacation time for me to accrue and use during my absence.  Mr. Black mentions people who choose not have children or unable for whatever reasons but states it part of life and newbie parents should receive a paycheck.  It is a choice to become parents or not, but those people who do not or never will have children will not benefit from this leave.  The government should not adopt the paid leave regardless of who it will benefit.  I would leave it to the employer to make the call of such leave.  Mr. Black does not have children and should not speak of something he has no knowledge of. 

No comments: