About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I have no political experience. My valuable time is dedicated to my family and career in order to survive in the beastly world we live in. However, I do watch the news and able to comprehend some of this government goo. Perhaps I could be more knowledgeable of the subject matter and enrolling in United States Government class, which I must receive credit for in order to move towards my career goal could possibly help me understand our government, exactly how it functions and the opinions or views in others in the world.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blame Game On Single Parents For Gun Violence



On October 17, 2012 Wendy Fontaine posted a blog in The Blog in The Huffington Post titled, “Why Mitt Can’t Blame Us Single Parents for Gun Violence”.  Her blog is about last night’s presidential debate where presidential candidate, Mitt Romney suggested single parents is the reason for gun violence in the United States when a member of the audience asked the candidates about keeping assault weapons off the streets.  The audience is single parents of America.  

The argument Fontaine tries to address is that single parents are not the problem of gun violence in United States and believes other single parents share the same view as her.  The blame should not be targeted solely on single parents.  As a single parent, Fontaine disagrees with Romney’s theory.  Fontaine states blame can be placed on married parents too as her gives examples such as the assault on Arizona Congresswoman and the shooting in the Colorado movie theater which were taken on from single men with no children.  Another example used was the Columbine High School massacre was taken on by two male students who were raised by their married parents and President Obama was also raised by his single mother which he is now the president.  Fontaine expresses her way of parenting her six year old child and comes off as a wonderful and caring parent as well as her tiresome single parent label, as if it a bad thing.  The only fault I find in Fontaine’s blog is she has only been a parent for six years and in that time frame cannot speak from experience or should not be insulted by Romney’s suggestion.  Overall, Fontaine does a great job bringing facts to the table to stand up for single parents who have raised their children to adulthood without bringing guns to the street.

If I had the chance to address Romney’s generalization face to face, I would let him know I was at one time a single parent raising a daughter without government or public assistance.  I can say I raised one hell of a daughter who was not running the streets while growing up with a gun in her hand or became a teenage pregnancy statistic.  My daughter received a high school diploma, is a certified pharmacy technician, and now back in school to become a pediatrician while employed with a government agency. 

No comments: